Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comma before AND/help

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Comma before AND/help
Message from clint01 posted on 14-08-2014 at 06:48:40 (D | E | F)
Hello
I do not usually use commas after AND but Grammar books say that we have to use them under certain confusing situations.
Actually, probably not that confusing, but I have got to confess I am confused
Could you please tell us (me and my students ) on what conditions we should use them?
My students are not courageous enough to ask their questions here.
Thanks for your help.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 14-08-2014 08:05

Re: Comma before AND/help from lucile83, posted on 14-08-2014 at 08:11:32 (D | E)
Hello,

It depends on the sentences.
Here is a nice site about that issue:
Link

Hope this helps.

Re: Comma before AND/help from clint01, posted on 14-08-2014 at 13:00:59 (D | E)
Hello,
Thanks a million Lucile.
But I am afraid something was wrong with the link. It kept redirecting itself to another commercial site.

-------------------
Edited by clint01 on 14-08-2014 13:01

Re: Comma before AND/help from lucile83, posted on 14-08-2014 at 13:15:53 (D | E)
Hello,
Perhaps the link isn't available in your country. That sometimes happens.
Never mind, here is what is said about commas and 'and' from Oxford Dictionaries

Using commas in lists
You need to put a comma between the different items in a list, as in the following sentences:
Saturday morning started with a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and French toast.
The school has a vegetable garden in which the children grow cabbages, onions, potatoes, and carrots.
The final comma in these lists (before the word ‘and’) is known as the ‘serial comma’. Not all writers or publishers use it, but it is used by Oxford Dictionaries – some people refer to it as ‘the Oxford comma’. Using it can make your meaning clearer. Take a look at this sentence:
My favourite sandwiches are chicken, bacon and ham and cheese.
It isn’t entirely clear from this sentence whether the writer is listing three or four of their favourite sandwich fillings: is ‘ham’ one of their favourites and ‘cheese’ another, or is it ‘ham and cheese’ that they like? Adding an Oxford comma makes the meaning clear:
My favourite sandwiches are chicken, bacon, and ham and cheese.

Re: Comma before AND/help from clint01, posted on 15-08-2014 at 06:43:48 (D | E)
Hello Lucile,
Thanks a trillion it was informative, and interesting.
Do you think using the Oxford comma in the sentence above is appropriate?

Re: Comma before AND/help from lucile83, posted on 15-08-2014 at 09:01:36 (D | E)
Hello,

...it was informative, and interesting.
It is not really a list as you used two words only. If you write:
it was informative, and interesting....you insist on the fact that it was informative, but well, also interesting.
it was informative and interesting....you found that subject both informative and interesting.
I wouldn't have added a comma in that sentence as it is a short one, and the comma is not really necessary. Your sentence is correct anyway.

Re: Comma before AND/help from clint01, posted on 19-08-2014 at 16:31:37 (D | E)
Hello,
Thank you for your help. It was informative and interesting.

Re: Comma before AND/help from lucile83, posted on 19-08-2014 at 19:10:21 (D | E)
nice sense of humour!

Re: Comma before AND/help from sidduchinnu, posted on 03-09-2014 at 06:30:27 (D | E)
Hello,

I think comma will not come after the word "and".

Re: Comma before AND/help from clint01, posted on 03-09-2014 at 10:17:01 (D | E)
You are right Siddu,
I meant BEFORE not AFTER. I made a mistake. Thanks for your correction.

Re: Comma before AND/help from lucile83, posted on 03-09-2014 at 17:20:13 (D | E)
Hello,

I changed the title

Re: Comma before AND/help from sidduchinnu, posted on 03-09-2014 at 18:25:04 (D | E)
Hello!

now..it depends on sentences.

Re: Comma before AND/help from antisocial1989, posted on 06-09-2014 at 02:12:35 (D | E)
Hello,
When you write more than two things, such as Tom, Dick, and Harry, you use comma before and. Otherwise, you don't use comma before and. For example, Tom and Dick.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 06-09-2014 07:57

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux