Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Myself/ By Myself

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Myself/ By Myself
Message from preechaw posted on 21-07-2019 at 11:21:43 (D | E | F)
Hello,
Could you help me please?
Thanks for any reply.

A: I solved the problem myself.
B: I solved the problem by myself.
Sentence A means nobody helped me solve the problem. I was the one who actually did it.
Sentence B means I was alone while I was solving the problem. Nobody else was with me at that time.
Is that correct?

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 21-07-2019 12:03

Re: Myself/ By Myself from gerold, posted on 21-07-2019 at 12:38:40 (D | E)
Hello,

I can't see any real difference between these two sentences. In both cases you (and nobody else) solved the problem.

Re: Myself/ By Myself from lucile83, posted on 21-07-2019 at 19:26:47 (D | E)
Hello,
Yes, it is correct.
"I did it myself" Myself is used to emphasise that it was me and not anyone else.
"I did it by myself" I did it on my own, without any help.
The difference is very tiny.

Re: Myself/ By Myself from matrixhamdi, posted on 21-07-2019 at 22:43:42 (D | E)
Hello, everybody. I hope you are doing well.
We use "myself" when we need to explain "who does/did the action" and we use "by myself" when we want to describe "how some actions are/were done"
For the first sentence: Who solved the problem? The answer is: I solved it myself. (It was me who solved the problem not James or anyone else.)
For the second sentence: How was the problem solved?
The answer is: I solved it by myself, without any help or assistance. ( I did it all by myself without any help).
Hope this could help.

Re: Myself/ By Myself from preechaw, posted on 22-07-2019 at 02:28:23 (D | E)
If I was with my friend, who was only watching me solve the problem but was not helping me solve it at all, will it still be correct to say "by myself"?

Re: Myself/ By Myself from matrixhamdi, posted on 22-07-2019 at 11:50:43 (D | E)
Hello,
Yes, indeed. Because your friend did not contribute to solve the problem. You did it by yourself without his help or assistance.
Regards.

Re: Myself/ By Myself from yuedh14, posted on 06-08-2019 at 03:37:13 (D | E)
great!

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux