Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

My sentences/help

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

My sentences/help
Message de vaiana posté le 16-02-2019 à 15:14:34 (S | E | F)
Hello,
are my sentences right? (sentences with "into + ing" and "out of + ing")
Thank you in advance.

Marina asked her mother into purchasing her a Nintendo Switch.
The burglars threatened the house's owners out of denouncing them to the police.
The paedophile laughed at his victims all day long into keeping their silence/ silent.
Little Tom always uses all the pretexts with his gullible mother into getting the toys he wants.
She told him she would kill herself out of telling her secret to anybody. (I want to say : Elle lui l'a menacé de se tuer s'il racontait son secret à quiconque)

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 16-02-2019 18:29

Réponse : My sentences/help de sherry48, postée le 16-02-2019 à 19:02:47 (S | E)
Hello.
Marina asked her mother into purchasing her a Nintendo Switch.
The burglars threatened the homeowners out of denouncing them to the police.
The paedophile laughed at his victims all day long into keeping their silence/ silent. This one needs more work-it seems a little bizarre...
Little Tom always uses all the pretexts with his gullible mother into getting the toys he wants.
She told him she would kill herself out of telling her secret to anybody. (I want to say : Elle lui l'a menacé de se tuer s'il racontait son secret à quiconque)
Use threaten.
You can talk someone into or out of something, but ask into? laughing into? Using into? Threaten out of? Make sure the verb makes sense with its desired result.
Sherry

Réponse : My sentences/help de vaiana, postée le 16-02-2019 à 19:30:25 (S | E)
HELLO AND THANK YOU!

Marina talked her mother into purchasing her a Nintendo Switch.

The burglars threatened the homeowners out of denouncing them to the police.

The paedophile demeaned his victims all day long into keeping them silent.
The paedophile laughed his victims all day long into keeping them silent.

Little Tom always entices his gullible mother into getting the toys he wants.

She threatened him to kill herself into keeping him silent.

Réponse : My sentences/help de sherry48, postée le 16-02-2019 à 22:32:05 (S | E)
Hello again.
Marina talked her mother into purchasing her a Nintendo Switch. OK

The burglars threatened the homeowners out of denouncing them to the police. Threaten out of doesn't work...maybe to keep them from...

The pedophile demeaned his victims all day long into keeping them silent. You can't really demean, belittle or humiliate someone into keeping silent. Maybe he pressured them into keeping silent.

Little Tom always entices his gullible mother into getting (him) the toys he wants. Entice has the sense of tempt, which isn't quite the sense you want. Keep it simple with the verb to talk.

She threatened him to kill herself into keeping him silent. She threatened to kill herself to convince him to keep silent...to persuade him...in order to make/force him to keep silent.

Sherry

Réponse : My sentences/help de vaiana, postée le 16-02-2019 à 22:51:12 (S | E)
Okay thank you very much.

I will retry to do it later.

Where can I find a list of the verbs I can use with "into" and "out of"? Thank you.

Réponse : My sentences/help de sherry48, postée le 17-02-2019 à 01:21:11 (S | E)
Hello.
I doubt such a list exists. Keep in mind that into and out of are primarily prepositions of motion. To 'talk someone into' (think persuade) or 'out of' is an idiom. Sherry

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux