Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Traduction/phrases

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Traduction/phrases
Message de menthix posté le 06-07-2019 à 17:35:45 (S | E | F)
Bonjour,
voici quelques phrases dont je me demande quelles peuvent en être les traductions. Pourriez-vous me dire ce que vous en pensez ?
Merci d'avance

1) Contexte : je prête mes clés de voitures à un ami pour une durée déterminée.
Phrase : "je te les laisse" (tandis que je les lui tends)
Traduction personnelle : "I leave them to you" mais je ne suis pas sûr que le verbe "leave" corresponde très bien ici. Certes je pourrais dire "I lend them to you, there you go" mais je voudrais une traduction la plus proche possible de "je te les laisse"

2) Contexte : " - Do you want some ketchup ?"
Réponse : - Yes, I would" pour "oui, j'aimerais bien"
Est-ce que cette réponse est gramaticalement correcte ?  Peut être "yes, would like some" ou "yes i would like to have some" serait plus correcte ..?

3) Phrase : "je ne m'attendais pas à ce qu'il y ait des magasins par ici"
Traduction personnelle :
"I didn't expect (that) there would be so many shops around here" ou "I didn't expect there being so many shops around here".
Les deux phrases sont-elles correctes ?

4) Phrase : "c'est gentil à vous de m'avoir proposé de m amener là bas"
Traduction personnelle :
- "it's kind of you to propose me to take me there"
- "it's kind of you that you proposed me to ..."
Je ne suis sûr pour aucune des deux...

Merci d'avance. Au revoir

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-07-2019 17:43

Réponse : Traduction/phrases de slendermanhunt2, postée le 06-07-2019 à 23:32:44 (S | E)
Hi menthix,

1) “leave them to you” doesn’t work in this situation. The expression ‘leave sth to sbd’ is only used in the sense of bequeath (léguer?). Depending on the context you could try ‘I’ll leave them with you’ or ‘I’ll leave them there for you (if you’re in the process of putting them down or indicating the position). However, in neither sentence does the verb ‘leave’ necessarily mean that ‘lending’ is going on, only the context would make that clear.

2) “Yes, I would” is perfectly acceptable, as are all three. I think it’s just a question of the more words you add the more emphatic the sentence sounds (reading it in my mind, the last one sounds so emphatic that I can’t help but read it in a sarcastic tone of voice).

3) The first sentence is correct, you could also have said ‘I didn’t expect so many shops to be around here’ (although this sounds less natural to me, I’m guessing because of the rephrasing of ‘there is/are’ to ‘to be’). With the second sentence I think you may be getting confused with the phrase “not count on sth”: ‘I wasn’t counting on/I didn’t count on there being so many shops here’ (although there is a slightly different implication i.e. my plans have been disrupted to a lesser or greater extent by the number of shops).

4) The verb ‘propose’ is never normally used in English in the sense of to ask or to offer somebody something. ‘Propose to somebody’ always means ask somebody to marry you. ‘Propose that somebody do/does something’ means suggest. However, even having changed propose to offer/ask you still don’t need the object pronoun: “it’s kind of you to ask/offer to take me there” or “it’s kind of you that you asked/offered to take me”. Remember, “ask somebody to do something” makes the object of the verb ‘ask’ the subject of the infinitive so your first sentence with ask is really saying “It’s kind of you to ask me to take myself there”.

Hope that helps!

Réponse : Traduction/phrases de menthix, postée le 07-07-2019 à 13:01:07 (S | E)
Hello Slendermanhunt2 and thank you for your reply . It does help !
Just to be sure, do you confirm that I can answer "Yes, I would !" to a "Do you want ..." question ?
Because it sounds to me a bit strange to match a want and a would, although answering "Yes I want" sounds a bit assertive, to my mind... Tell me what you think
Bye

Réponse : Traduction/phrases de traviskidd, postée le 08-07-2019 à 16:07:55 (S | E)
Hello. I generally agree with slendermanhunt2, but think a few things are worth pointing out.

1) If you're actually handing the keys to the other person ("je les lui tends"), a simple "Here you go" is enough.

2) "Yes I would" is fine, you have implicitly changed the question from "Do you want" to "Would you like" which is more polite. (Of course, "Yes I do" is good too.)

3) The infinitive form of "there is/are" is "(for) there to be". So, the literal translation is "I didn't expect (for) there to be so many shops around here." Your propositions are not wrong, though.

4) The verb "propose", with nothing after it, means to propose marriage, i.e. to ask somebody to marry you. But propose is more general, to offer a suggestion for others to consider. It's different from simply asking, because what you're proposing is something you think the others will like as well. And it's different from offering to do a favor, because you think it would also be good for you. In this case, someone offered someone else the favor of taking him/her somewhere, so "propose" doesn't work.

That's all; see you

Réponse : Traduction/phrases de menthix, postée le 09-07-2019 à 13:43:11 (S | E)
Thank you !

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux