Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Past Simple/Present Perfect

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Past Simple/Present Perfect
Message from ahmed28 posted on 07-09-2017 at 14:06:31 (D | E | F)
Hi there!
I've a question. In a sentence like "I cooked all yesterday afternoon", could we use the present perfect progressive by saying,
"I've been cooking all yesterday afternoon"?
Would you please justify your answer and provide me with some examples.
Thank you in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 07-09-2017 15:01

Re: Past Simple/Present Perfect from lucile83, posted on 07-09-2017 at 15:10:09 (D | E)
Hello,
When you use the word Yesterday, or other words referring to the past,you have to use the past simple. Therefore you can't use the present perfect simple or continuous.
She cooked vegetables last week.
They went to the restaurant a week ago.
She met him last summer.

Re: Past Simple/Present Perfect from hope12, posted on 07-09-2017 at 15:51:11 (D | E)
Hello
The present perfect continuous is used when an action started in the past and is still happening or its results are in the present.
Eg1 : I have been studying English since 2012.( I started in the past and I haven't finished ,I'm still studying )
Eg2 : It has been raining all the night. (Maybe the soil is wet)
But we must use the past simple with "yesterday" which refers to a past and finished period.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 07-09-2017 15:55

Re: Past Simple/Present Perfect from here4u, posted on 07-09-2017 at 17:51:13 (D | E)
Hello !
Present perfect continuous insists on the duration of the action. (He's been working for days on that project)
In the example given: "It has been raining all the night."= all night / all night long.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux