Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

The news hit/ hits

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

The news hit/ hits
Message from thierrydemlt posted on 16-11-2017 at 15:17:50 (D | E | F)
Hello,
Could you help me please? Thanks for any reply.

I have read the following sentence: "Kate is pregnant. The news hit the headlines around the world".
News looks like a plural noun but is in fact an uncountable noun, so you have to use a singular form of a verb after it. I thought that de good sentence was " The news hitS the headlines". Since Kate IS pregnant, it implies the singular form and the singular form / 3rd person is "hits".

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 16-11-2017 22:11

Re: The news hit/ hits from gerondif, posted on 16-11-2017 at 16:18:03 (D | E)
Hello,
you are right BUT hit is in the preterite here, to hit, I hit, hit, irregular verb.
If a present tense was implied, it would probably be:
Hey! You know what ?? Kate is pregnant (Royal family, I presume) !! The news is making (hitting) the headlines around the world at the moment.
A simple present would imply a habit: Whenever there is an earthquake, the news hits the headlines around the world.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux