Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Please help/ important

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Please help/ important
Message from leenah posted on 21-04-2018 at 23:57:26 (D | E | F)
Hi there
I've a question: I gave my students three words to make a sentence out of them( they - have - picnic )
so they wrote according to present continuous and future with going to the majority's answer was
They are having a picnic. or
They are going to have a picnic.
but some of them just wrote the three words as it is
They have a picnic.
So I don't know how to tell them that it's incorrect !!!
or Can I consider it a correct answer too or not, I don't know the answer why it's incorrect.
Thanks in advance.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 22-04-2018 07:56

Re: Please help/ important from gerondif, posted on 22-04-2018 at 00:27:51 (D | E)
Hello,
They have a picnic or they have picnics would be correct if you had added something like "every weekend", but without a context that would explain that it is a habit, it is wrong.

Re: Please help/ important from leenah, posted on 22-04-2018 at 01:39:26 (D | E)
Thank you so much.

Re: Please help/ important from jonquille, posted on 22-04-2018 at 15:11:23 (D | E)
Hello!
Since you merely told them "to make a sentence out of them," then I would say that grammatically,they are correct.
They have a picnic. (The sentence has a subject and a verb... a sentence!)
However, if you had given them conditions, such as they must state a time of the event in the sentence, then you could tell the students that it was an "incomplete thought" as they had not met the requirements of the exercise.
Hope this helps!
jonquille

Re: Please help/ important from leenah, posted on 22-04-2018 at 22:59:33 (D | E)
Thanks a lot , I really appreciate your help.

Re: Please help/ important from tanin5, posted on 23-04-2018 at 05:12:00 (D | E)
Hello everybody!
The truth, realities, habits, daily jobs...are said in simple tense . So it can be a habit or daily work. But rarely happens.
So grammatically correct but based on meaning ,not a rutine sentence.
Best regards

Re: Please help/ important from jade77, posted on 23-04-2018 at 12:12:19 (D | E)
Hi,
You could proceed this way :
"They have a picnic" is a nice try, but unfortunately it's definitely not the correct answer to our exercise . Because you haven't taken into consideration the tenses required, which makes a great difference in the time we expect the action to occur .
Afterwards you would remind them about the different features of each tense .

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 23-04-2018 13:29

Re: Please help/ important from leenah, posted on 23-04-2018 at 14:40:19 (D | E)
Thanks a million ,I really appreciate your opinions.Thank you so much.

-------------------
Edited by leenah on 23-04-2018 14:41

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'espagnol 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. / Partager sur les réseaux